The price of faculty continues to soar every year. During the last 30 years, this cost has increased by up to to 500% — no matter whether or not the college was public, non-public, a four-year or a two-year faculty. For this reason it’s necessary to use for scholarships and grants to assist cowl this ever-rising expense and to reduce your pupil mortgage debt after you graduate.
College scholarships and fellowships for math, science and engineering college students are among the many most beneficiant and prestigious awards.
Along with science, know-how, engineering and arithmetic (STEM) scholarships, you possibly can seek for different scholarships utilizing a free scholarship search service, reminiscent of Fastweb.com and the College Board’s Big Future. You should use these web sites to search out different STEM scholarships with extra particular choice standards, and also will permit you to discover non-STEM scholarships that match your background.
We’ve additionally gathered The Best College Scholarship Search Websites.
Normal Undergraduate STEM Scholarships
These scholarships can be found to undergraduate college students in all or most STEM fields. They’re listed based on the quantity of the highest prize and with essentially the most beneficiant scholarships listed first.
- Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS): U.S. college students enter a science or arithmetic challenge within the “nation’s oldest and most prestigious STEM competitors for highschool seniors.” Winners are chosen primarily based on a scientific analysis report, solutions to essay questions, admissions check scores, transcripts and suggestions. 300 semi-finalists win a $2,000 faculty scholarship. Forty finalists win no less than a $25,000 faculty scholarship, with a prime prize of a $250,000 faculty scholarship.
- Breakthrough Junior Challenge: College students worldwide, age 13-18, enter by making a 90-second video to elucidate a sophisticated idea or principle in science or arithmetic in an interesting and easy-to-understand manner. The winner receives a $250,000 faculty scholarship, plus a $50,000 prize for his or her instructor, plus as much as $100,000 to their faculty so as to add or renovate a science lab.
- Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF): College students worldwide can enter ISEF after profitable a prime prize of their native, state, regional or nationwide science truthful. Grand Awards in every of 21 ISEF classes present money prizes of as much as $5,000 for a primary award. First award winners can win named awards price $10,000 to $75,000.
- Davidson Fellows Scholarships: College students who’re 18 years previous or youthful can win $10,000, $25,000 or $50,000 faculty scholarships by finishing a “important piece of labor” in science, know-how, engineering, arithmetic, literature, music, philosophy, or outside-the-box classes.
- U.S. Department of Defense STEM Scholarships: U.S. undergraduate and graduate college students can win scholarships and fellowships in 21 tutorial majors in STEM fields. Scholarship recipients should conform to work for a Division of Protection (DoD) facility for one yr for every year of assist. The scholarships cowl full tuition, an annual stipend of no less than $25,000, 8 to 12 week summer time internships, and employment with the DoD after commencement.
- Collegiate Inventors Competition: College students who’ve a patentable invention can compete for money prizes of as much as $15,000 and a patent acceleration certificates. That is open to U.S.-based and worldwide undergraduate and graduate college students at U.S. schools and universities.
- Generation Google Scholarships: These scholarships and fellowships can be found to U.S. and non-U.S. highschool seniors, undergraduate and graduate college students who’re or shall be majoring in laptop science. The scholarships and fellowships are price as much as $10,000. Candidates ought to display monetary want. Google additionally gives scholarships for college students with disabilities and for veterans.
- Toshiba/NSTA ExploraVision: This competitors is open to groups of two to 4 U.S. and Canadian elementary, center and secondary faculty college students curious about STEM fields. Profitable groups obtain a U.S. EE Financial savings Bond price as much as $10,000 at maturity.
Discipline Particular Undergraduate STEM Scholarships
These scholarships are restricted to particular tutorial majors, highlighted in daring. They’re listed in alphabetical order.
- American Nuclear Society Scholarship Program: Scholarships can be found to U.S. and non-U.S. highschool seniors, undergraduate and graduate college students who’re or shall be enrolled in nuclear science, nuclear engineering and associated fields (e.g., environmental science, supplies science, radioanalytical chemistry, thermal-hydraulics, reactor security, and so on.) at U.S. schools and universities. The scholarships are price as much as $2,500 ($1,000 for incoming freshmen) and the fellowships are price as much as $5,000. There are additionally need-based scholarships price as much as $5,000.
- NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program: U.S. college students from economically deprived backgrounds who’re curious about careers in biomedical, behavioral and social science health-rated research can win college scholarships and paid summer time analysis internships on the Nationwide Institutes of Well being (NIH). They will additionally obtain paid employment and coaching on the NIH after commencement. Scholarship recipients will need to have distinctive monetary wants. The scholarships are price as much as $20,000 per yr and may be renewed for as much as 4 years. Scholarship recipients should take part in a 10-week analysis internship in the course of the summer time after every year of scholarship assist. Scholarship recipients should work at an NIH analysis laboratory for one yr for every year of assist.
- NOAA Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship: U.S. faculty college students who’re curious about oceanic and atmospheric science, analysis, know-how, and training can win faculty scholarships price as much as $9,500 per yr for 2 years. Scholarship recipients should take part in a paid 10-week internship at a Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) facility.
- Novus Biologicals Scholarship Program: This scholarship is obtainable to highschool seniors, undergraduate and graduate college students enrolled at schools within the U.S., Canada, and Europe for examine in science-related fields, reminiscent of biochemistry, biology, biomedical engineering, chemistry, environmental sciences, genetics, well being sciences, life sciences, medical sciences, microbiology, neuroscience, nursing, diet, pathology, pharmaceutical sciences, bodily remedy, psychology, social sciences, toxicology, veterinary medical sciences, and wildlife sciences. The scholarship is price as much as $1,500.
- SME Education Foundation Scholarships: U.S. and Canadian highschool seniors and present faculty college students can apply for a number of faculty scholarships in manufacturing engineering and associated fields. Scholarships are price as much as $40,000 payable over 4 years.
- Society of Physics Students (SPS) Scholarships: This scholarship is obtainable to undergraduate college students who’re majoring in physics. Some can be found to college students majoring in any STEM discipline. Membership within the Society of Physics College students or Sigma Pi Sigma is required. The scholarships are price as much as $5,000.
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Scholarships: This scholarship is obtainable to feminine undergraduate and graduate college students curious about engineering and laptop science. The diploma program should be ABET-accredited. The scholarships are price as much as $16,000.
- The American Rocketry Challenge (TARC): TARC is a rocketry competitors open to U.S. center and highschool college students. Finalists compete for $100,000 in prizes and faculty scholarships price as much as $20,000 for the profitable groups.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Antibody Scholarship Program: This scholarship is obtainable to U.S. undergraduate and graduate college students majoring in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and associated life sciences (excluding healthcare professions) at U.S. schools and universities. The scholarship is price as much as $10,000.
- U.S. Stockholm Junior Water Prize: U.S. and non-U.S. highschool college students who’ve performed a water-science analysis challenge are eligible for regional, state, nationwide, and worldwide awards. Nationwide awards embody a $10,000 scholarship. Worldwide awards embody a $15,000 scholarship.
Undergraduate STEM Scholarships (Underrepresented Minority College students)
These scholarships are restricted to underrepresented minority college students and are restricted to particular tutorial majors.
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Scholars Program: U.S. highschool seniors and undergraduate college students from underrepresented teams (African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian or Native Pacific Islander) can apply for scholarships in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, and associated sciences (e.g., supplies science, petroleum engineering, forensic science, toxicology, pharmaceutical chemistry, agricultural chemistry, nanotechnology, ceramic science, and so on.) price as much as $5,000 per yr.
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) Scholarships: These scholarships can be found to Black highschool seniors, undergraduate, and graduate college students majoring in engineering, laptop science, and associated fields (e.g., physics). The scholarships are price as much as $10,000. Candidates should be pupil members of NSBE.
Normal Graduate STEM Fellowships
These fellowships can be found for graduate faculty in all or most STEM fields. They’re listed based on the quantity of the highest prize, with essentially the most beneficiant fellowships listed first.
A number of fellowships are included within the listings of undergraduate scholarships as a result of some are open to each undergraduate and graduate college students. These embody the American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) Scholarships, American Meteorological Society (AMS) Scholarships and Fellowships, American Nuclear Society Scholarship Program, Technology Google Scholarships, Society of Hispanic Skilled Engineers (SHPE) Scholarships, and the U.S. Division of Protection STEM Scholarships.
- Hertz Foundation Fellowships: This fellowship is obtainable to U.S. faculty seniors and first-year graduate college students who will pursue a Ph.D. within the utilized bodily and organic sciences, arithmetic, or engineering. This fellowship gives as much as 5 years of funding price a complete of $250,000 at 40 collaborating U.S. universities. Fellows should make a “ethical dedication to place their expertise to work in instances of nationwide emergency.”
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship. This fellowship is obtainable to U.S. graduate college students pursuing a Ph.D. in science and engineering. Eligible fields of examine embody aeronautical and astronautical engineering, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, civil engineering, cognitive, neural, and behavioral sciences, laptop science, electrical engineering, geosciences, supplies science and engineering, arithmetic, mechanical engineering, ocean engineering, oceanography, physics, and area physics. The fellowship features a month-to-month stipend price as much as $38,400 per yr and full tuition and charges for 3 years. Further funding is offered for medical insurance and for journey for skilled improvement.
- National GEM Consortium Fellowships: This fellowship is obtainable to underrepresented U.S. graduate college students curious about Grasp’s and Ph.D. levels in science and engineering. The fellowship gives a stipend of $16,000 and full tuition and charges for as much as 5 years. The fellowship additionally gives paid summer time internships with GEM employer members. Underrepresented college students embody African-American/Black, Hispanic-American/Latino, and American Indian/Native college students.
Discipline Particular Graduate STEM Fellowships
These fellowships are restricted to particular tutorial majors, highlighted in daring. They’re listed in alphabetical order.
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship: This fellowship is obtainable to U.S. graduate college students in fields that “use high-performance computing to resolve advanced science and engineering issues.” The fellowship gives an annual stipend of $36,000 plus tuition and charges for as much as 4 years of assist. Fellowship recipients take part in 12-week practicum experiences at considered one of 21 DOE nationwide laboratories, together with entry to DOE supercomputers. College students should be faculty seniors or first-year graduate college students on the time of software. Eligible fields of examine embody utilized arithmetic, statistics, astrophysics, chemical engineering, chemistry, laptop science, environmental science, life sciences, machine studying, supplies science, mechanical engineering, and physics.
- Microsoft Research Dissertation Grant Program: This fellowship is obtainable to underrepresented graduate college students in laptop science, economics, ecology & setting, arithmetic, genomics, and social sciences Ph.D. applications at universities within the U.S. and Canada. The fellowship is price as much as $25,000. The proposed analysis should be aligned to the final areas of analysis performed by members of Microsoft Analysis.
- Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Program: This fellowship is obtainable to U.S. and non-U.S. graduate college students in Ph.D. applications in laptop science. It’s price as much as $42,000 per yr for the third and fourth years of the Ph.D. program. Candidates should be nominated by the college.
- NOAA Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program: This fellowship is obtainable to U.S. graduate college students in Grasp’s diploma and Ph.D. applications at U.S. schools and universities in oceanography, marine biology, and maritime archaeology. The fellowships are awarded partly primarily based on the applicant’s demonstrated monetary want.
- Winston Churchill Foundation of the USA Scholarship Program: This scholarship is obtainable to U.S. undergraduate college students who’re curious about pursuing a Grasp’s diploma on the College of Cambridge in science, arithmetic, and engineering. The scholarship covers the price of one yr, which is usually a MPhil or MASt diploma.
- Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowship: This fellowship is for U.S. faculty seniors who’re curious about pursuing a Grasp’s diploma in science or arithmetic training on the College of Pennsylvania or West Chester College. The fellowship gives a $32,000 stipend. Fellowship recipients should decide to instructing in high-need secondary colleges in Pennsylvania for no less than three years.
Study extra about how one can apply for student loans and financial aid programs by state or find grants that will help you pay for faculty.